Monday, 2 July 2012

The genius of Minecraft


Minecraft is a simple concept really, take a a lego style approach of building and a mining approach to resource gathering and you have Minecraft. What you do in Minecraft is gather resources and build structures/houses - I favour building houses. To gather resources you can dig up the ground to gather dirt, punch trees to gather wood and etc. You can also craft these resources into weapons and tools like swords and pick axes which make gathering resources or killing enemies easier. 

So what's so great about it? It sounds really boring, graphically it is a bit of an eyesore and well the music isn't very good either, but the ease of being able to build an impressive looking house and the addictive nature of the resource gathering really makes it a winning package. I often find myself playing it for hours on end just digging for a certain resource and then being overjoyed when I come across it, this is the sort of joy that you seldom find in video games these days. Also, the monster encounters can be really tense, especially if you are not equipped to deal with the situation, monster battles don't amount to much, mostly just hit it until it dies but the feeling that you could die and lose all your stuff at any moment gets your heart racing and it just adds another layer to the immersion.


Nice house *boom*


Then there are creepers, creepers are a horrible looking green monster that roam the lands of minecraft with a mission statement, and that mission statement is ruin your day. If they see you they come after you and if they get near you they emit this horrible hissing sound and then proceed to blow up. Which is perfectly okay if you've got a lot of health and are in a open area but when they ruin the house you've spent hours working on is when shit's on like donkey kong.

The crafting system tends to be great and adds more depth to the game, you can make so much stuff and the items you create can be used for decorative reasons or for other reasons like the game has pistons and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY DO but I can't wait to find out what they do! Also, my friend Joel who is big into minecraft has a house where he has THINGS THAT SHOOTS MONSTERS AND STOPS THEM FROM BREAKING DOWN HIS HOUSE, my mind was blown when I realised how complicated that must have been. 

This is a game that isn't without problems, sometimes the game runs like ass even though it looks like a super nintendo could play it. And SOMETIMES I get gangraped by creepers but that's mostly because I suck at the game when it comes to fighting things, I just like building houses. Anyway the point of this blog is to say I like Minecraft, this is my opinion, it is my opinion that you dear reader should buy Minecraft and give Jeb some money to go on vacation.




No comments:

Post a Comment