Sunday, 27 January 2013

Job hunting



Since dropping out of university I was presented with a choice; do nothing or look for a job, and while I was unable to undertake this task straight away due to an illness that came on very suddenly and knocked me on my arse for the good part of a month, I was always worried about job hunting, essentially staring into rejection and the possibility that no-one will want to hire me ever. So this year, 2013, I decided to say screw the rejection, I'll take it, because like Batman, someone will need me at some point and I'm sure it'll help build character. I am normally not a motivated person, I would put that down to just looking at things the wrong way(i.e glass half empty as opposed to half full) but it seems job hunting has lit a certain fire under me and I find myself motivated to the point that I just desperately want a job, so much so that I am applying to everything my skills will allow me to do. I will say this about job hunting, it's like hitting your head against a brick wall. You often get rejected for small reasons or you don't hear of anything at all from some employers, or you get to the interview stage, feel you've interviewed great only to be turned down, but hit that brick wall enough and it will crack eventually and that's what I plan on doing. 

In Aberystwyth, the brick wall is harder because the town is so small and quite full of skilled individuals who come and go year in and year out, but nonetheless I'm still hammering away. It is also very early days in my career of hunting for a career so I shouldn't look at it in a negative light, it's been a good ride so far and I have been interviewed once and while it was a scary experience it has taught me what to expect for future interviews and has also taught me I should try and calm my nerves a bit more before an interview. It's hard, but the pay off will be worth it.

I don't want to be on benefits forever, some people fashion a lifestyle out of benefits I don't believe that's me. Previously I have sat back and done nothing but 2013 is a new year and I wouldn't go as far to say it's a new me but I'm having a different outlook on things. I want to earn, I want to feel the feeling of earning, self satisfaction and I believe it would help develop me as a person, I've never worked, I won't hide that, bar the odd bit of work experience so the prospect of work is all new to me and because it's uncharted territory in my 21 years of living it makes it all the more exciting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment